Supporting the Health Needs of Local Residents
The Lakewood Ranch Medical Center Foundation works to support the health needs of the Lakewood Ranch area through volunteer activities. This includes fundraising to support scholarships for nursing and health career students and working with designated local charities with similar missions.
Lakewood Ranch Medical Center Nursing Scholarship
The Lakewood Ranch Medical Center Foundation annually awards scholarship aid to students in nursing programs. The Nursing Scholarship Program originated in 2019 when five nursing scholarships were awarded; in 2020, eight awards were given; and in 2021, six awards were distributed. Scholarships are available to students in college nursing programs at the undergraduate or graduate level who are affiliated with Lakewood Ranch Medical Center. To date 19 scholarships were awarded, totaling over $26,000. This year, the Foundation will be offering 10 scholarship grants of $1,000 each.
Who can apply?
- Any nursing student who is currently participating in a clinical affiliation at LWRMC and lives in Manatee or Sarasota County.
- Any nurse currently employed by LWRMC who is enrolled in a graduate program leading to a Master of Science Degree in Nursing.
What scholarships will be awarded?
Through the proceeds of The Jingle 5k Run/Walk and the generosity of our community partners, the Foundation scholarship awards are determined each year. In 2021, the named scholarships included:
- The Wayne Sternberg Memorial Scholarship given in memory of Mr. Sternberg, to be offered to an MSN candidate in honor of ICU COVID-19 nurses, given by the Sternberg Family.
- The Lakewood Ranch Community Activities Board Scholarships (2), funded from the proceeds of the Heroes Parade that we partnered with them on last summer.
- The Grove Scholarship donated through the Jingle Run, from the Grove Restaurant.
- The Cox Chevrolet and Mazda Scholarship donated through the Jingle Run.
- The Cowan Family Scholarship donated through the LWRMC Foundation.
- The Lakewood Ranch Medical Center Foundation Scholarships (4) donated from the proceeds of the Jingle Run.
When does the scholarship application need to be submitted?
Interested applicants are encouraged to complete the LWRMC Foundation Nursing Application and submit it by March 15 of the current year. Awards are distributed in April.
For questions, contact LWRMC Foundation President Carole Cowan at firstname.lastname@example.org.