Lakewood Ranch Medical Center provides the following special services at no charge to our hospitalized patients.
Arrange for these services at the time of admission or ask your nurse:
- TDD phone for the deaf: This telephone allows a deaf person to type a message to another person who has a TDD phone. The 24-hour TDD phone is available through the PBX office. Call 782-2100.
- Sign language interpretation: A sign language interpreter service can be arranged through the nursing supervisor.
- Hard-of-hearing telephone: These adjustable telephones offer louder volume.
- Closed-caption TV: This special television displays captions of spoken dialogue.
- Language services: This service is available 24 hours a day to provide interpretation when in-house translators are not on duty.
- Special nurse call button: This is available for patients with limited use of their hands.
In addition, the following services are available at a nominal cost:
- Mobility aids: Crutches, walkers and canes are property of the hospital’s Physical Medicine Department. Mobility aids can be kept in your room during your hospitalization, once it has been determined that you are safe to use them independently or if you are receiving physical therapy for functional deficits. If you require a mobility aid after your discharge from the hospital, a case manager will help you obtain the appropriate equipment through a medical supply company.
- Post-hospitalization equipment in your home: Case Management can arrange for medical equipment to be placed in your home upon discharge. You may reach Case Management by dialing 782-2422.
Wireless Internet Service
Complimentary wireless Internet access is available for our patients and guests.
- Laptop PC or PDA with an 802.11b or 802.11g compatible wireless network card
- Software to support the wireless network card
- Web browser software
- Ensure your wireless network card is enabled and set for DHCP
- Using your software, view the available wireless networks
- Select the LWR-GUESTS (some software may require you to enter LWR-GUESTS as the SSID)
- Open your Web Browser software
- Browser will display the Lakewood Ranch Hospitality Wireless network Welcome Page. Click the “I agree” button on the left side of the page to accept the terms.
Courtesy Shuttle Service
The hospital offers a free courtesy shuttle service for Lakewood Ranch Medical Center campus guests. The shuttle is operated by hospital volunteers and is offered Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Shuttle drivers circulate the hospital parking areas throughout the day, assisting guests with complimentary rides. To request a ride, please call the hospital’s front desk at 941-782-2143 or call 941-782-2100 to make arrangements for the Courtesy Shuttle meet you at your car.
A Patient Representative makes daily rounds to the nursing units to visit patients after admission to the hospital. The patient representative serves as a liaison between patients, families, and visitors to address their concerns, complaints, questions, special needs or requests, suggestions, or compliments. The representative collaborates with associates and related healthcare providers to seek satisfactory resolutions and to identify opportunities for performance improvement.
Telephones are provided in all patient rooms. To make an outside local call from the hospital room, dial 9 + the number. You may call long distance from within the hospital by dialing 9 + 0 + the area code + the telephone number. You may call collect, place a third party call, or use a credit card or calling card. To call a patient, dial his or her room number. To reach other areas inside the hospital from your patient room, dial 2 + the last four digits of the telephone number.
The hospital maintains a safe for the security of money and other valuables. We will not be liable for the loss of valuables unless they are deposited with the hospital for safekeeping. Ask your nurse for assistance. You may also bring grooming articles, clothing, books or documents. Be sure that all personal items are labeled with your name. Take extra care to place them where they cannot be easily misplaced or discarded.
Lakewood Ranch Medical Center is committed to making our website's content accessible and user friendly to everyone.
Learn more about our commitment to accessibility →
We periodically conduct fire drills. If you hear an alarm, stay where you are. In the event of an actual emergency, hospital staff will notify you.
Lakewood Ranch Medical Center is a smoke-free campus.
Hospital policy discourages patients from bringing electrical appliances including hair dryers, curling irons, razors, radios, heating pads, portable heaters, VCRs, computers, and other devices into the hospital. A physician’s order is necessary, and the appliance must pass an electrical safety check prior to use. Ask your nurse for an electrical safety check.
Televisions are provided in each patient room. Please be considerate of others by keeping the TV volume down and turning off your TV at bedtime.
Mail and Flowers
Mail, flowers, and packages will be delivered to you by a hospital volunteer. Flowers are permitted in most patient areas with the exception of the Intensive and Cardiac Care Units. For safety reasons, only Mylar balloons are permitted in patient care areas.
Complimentary local newspapers are delivered to the nursing units daily and are available to patients. This service is provided through the generosity of the Lakewood Ranch Herald and the Herald Tribune.
The Food and Nutrition Service works closely with physicians and the nursing staff to provide meals for our patients that are “just what the doctor ordered.” Meals are the result of the physician’s diet prescription, ordered for a patient’s medical condition. The meals are prepared under the direction of our executive chef, a culinary school graduate, to ensure quality and good taste. Patients are provided with menus featuring breakfast, lunch, and dinner selections. They simply order what they would like by calling 22346 and their meals are delivered through the hospital’s room service program.
Lakewood Ranch Medical Center offers pastoral care for patients and families in need of comfort, support, and counsel. Ask your nurse for a list of local volunteer pastors. Members of clergy will visit patients upon request. The meditation room is located on the first floor of the main building across from the conference center. It is available for use by patients and family members at all times. It is a quiet and peaceful place for prayer and reflection. Everyone is welcome.
Leave Your Valuables At Home
If you have valuables, such as jewelry and cash, please give them to a relative or friend to take care of during your stay. Contact lenses, eyeglasses, hearing aids, and dentures should be stored in your bedside stand when not in use. Please don’t put them on your bed or food tray— they may be damaged or lost. Lakewood Ranch Medical Center cannot be responsible for replacement of personal belongings.