Maternity, Birth Designer, OB/GYN Services
COVID-19 Visitor Guidelines
Limited visitation is in effect until further notice due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more →
Women from the Bradenton/Sarasota area come to the Women's Center at Lakewood Ranch Medical Center to get the care they need, including obstetrics and gynecology, labor and delivery and urology services. The center has its own easily accessible parking area and entrance that's located just south of the hospital's main entrance.
Awards and Recognition
Lakewood Ranch Medical Center was named a Best Maternity Hospital 2021 by Newsweek in partnership with The Leapfrog Group for the second year in a row.
The Women’s Center has been recognized as a Blue Distinction Center+ for Maternity Care as part of the Blue Distinction Specialty Care program. Blue Distinction Centers are nationally designated hospitals that show expertise in delivering improved patient safety and better health outcomes based on objective measures that were developed with input from the medical community.
The Women's Center includes:
- Labor, delivery, recovery and post-partum (LDRP) suites that are spacious and private
- Complimentary Birth Designer Program for all expecting moms
- Operating rooms
- Medical/surgical beds
- Exam/triage rooms
- Newborn nursery
Women's Center Renovation Project
We've begun a $3 million renovation of the Women’s Center to give it a more spa-like atmosphere and expand access to high-quality maternity care in the Lakewood Ranch community. The project is expected to be completed in early 2021.
Find a Physician for Women's Health Services
If you need a referral to a physician at Lakewood Ranch Medical Center, call our free physician referral service at 941-708-8100 or find an OB/GYN online.
The Women’s Center provides family-centered care throughout the childbirth process. Special features include:
- Family birthing suites that offer a private, comfortable, secure environment with homelike surroundings during labor and after childbirth.
- Each labor, delivery, recovery and post-partum suite is equipped with technological advances, including a wireless fetal monitor system that allows mothers to have freedom of mobility, which can help with the birthing process and make mothers more comfortable.
- An infant security system that offers safety features for mother and child.
- Swaddle bathing utilizing the specially designed Turtle Tub for infants.
- Obstetric nurses who are highly skilled in labor support and family-centered nursing.
- Level 1 nursery for babies who require special attention. Specially trained NICU nurses and 24/7 Neonatologist are available.
Complimentary Birth Designer Program
We are the first facility in the area to offer a Birth Designer Program. Our Birth Designer, Chrissy Coney, RNC, BSN, CLC, will help you create a personalized birthing plan for you and your support person, empowering you to choose how you wish to bring your baby into the world.
Optimal Comfort in a Relaxing Environment
- Room service dining available from 7 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Daily Quiet Time from 2 – 4 p.m. each day for silent and undisturbed tranquility
- Daily “Tea at Two” to enhance rest and bonding
- Aromatherapy options
- Infused water options – cucumber, lemon, mint available
- Mood and sensory lighting available in all rooms
- Spacious updated showers for use during labor or post-partum
- Relaxation music
- Doulas welcome
- Private labor, delivery, recovery and post-partum suites
- Wireless fetal monitoring for increased comfort and mobility
- Infant security system
- Personalized rooming-in experience for mom and baby
- Birth viewing drape for Cesarean delivery
We understand how important breastfeeding is to you and your baby. All the nurses in the Women’s Center provide breastfeeding support. A certified lactation consultant is also available in-house Monday through Friday. The Little Nippers class is also a great option to receive lactation support from the class instructor.
Your Care Team
The labor and delivery unit at Lakewood Ranch Medical Center is run by obstetrics specialists that may include:
- Labor and Delivery Nurse
- Nurse Anesthetist
- Newborn Nurse
- Lactation consultant
- Birth Designer
Designated Quiet Time
Being a new mom is exciting, but with all the commotion and constant attention, we know moms can use a break to relax with their newborns. That’s why the staff at Lakewood Ranch Medical Center observes Quiet Time between 2 – 4 p.m. each day for silent and undisturbed tranquility. As Quiet Time begins, we dim the lights in the entire center and remind patients, visitors and the staff that this is a peaceful time. We also place signs on your room door that discourage interruptions and allow you and your baby to rest.
We start Quiet Time by delivering complimentary tea and cookies that you can enjoy from the comfort of your private room. Because this time is set aside just for you, most moms choose to sleep, enjoy skin-to-skin contact with their baby or breastfeed. Throughout your stay with us we do all we can to accommodate you and Quiet Time is no different. The staff will only enter your room if medically necessary. While close relatives are allowed in the room with you during Quiet Time, we encourage moms to reserve this time to bond with your baby and to schedule visits from family and friends around these hours.
Patient Story: Melissa Tatara
In this video, Melissa talks about her experience delivering at the Women's Center at Lakewood Ranch.
Selecting a Healthcare Provider for Your Child
Before your baby is born, choose a pediatrician for your baby. This provider may visit you and your baby in the hospital for a first health check-up, or you may see him/her after you are released from the hospital. If you choose a pediatrician that does not come to the hospital, your baby will be seen by one of our covering Neonatologists, who are available 24/7.
Tips for Selecting a Provider
- When choosing a healthcare provider for your baby, you will want to consider whether he/she accepts your insurance and takes new patients, and whether the doctor’s office has hours, policies and procedures that are in-line with your needs.
To help you select the best provider for your family, we encourage you to ask the following questions:
- Do you see newborns in the hospital or at the first office visit?
- How does the practice handle children who are sick? What about after-hours?
- Are you affiliated with Lakewood Ranch Medical Center?
- How long have you been practicing?
- Do you have any sub specialties?
- To become a patient, what paperwork is needed before the baby is born?
- Do you perform circumcisions? If yes, are they done at the hospital or in the office?
You can also speak with the Birth Designer for questions regarding Pediatricians.
Family-focused Education Classes and Health Screenings
The importance of education is emphasized at the Women's Center. Prenatal classes, childbirth education classes and patient education seminars on women's health topics are offered. At the Women's Center at Lakewood Ranch Medical Center, caring professionals, whose focus is you, treat each patient with compassion and dignity.
Available classes include:
- Parenthood prep classes (Breastfeeding, Infant CPR, Baby Care Basics, Nurturing Touch)
- Childbirth education classes (Prepared Childbirth Series and Weekend Crash Course, Prenatal Yoga)
- New parenthood classes and support groups (Little Nippers, New Parent Support Group, Post-partum Adjustment Support Group, Tummy Time, Family Music, Infant Sleep)
Questions? Email us at BirthDesigner@lwrmc.com