Maternity, Birth Designer, OB/GYN Services
Women from the Bradenton/Sarasota area come to the Women's Center at Lakewood Ranch Medical Center to get the care they need, including obstetrics and gynecology, labor and delivery and urology services. The center has its own easily accessible parking area and entrance that's located just south of the hospital's main entrance.
The Women's Center includes:
- Labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum (LDRP) suites that are spacious and private
- Birth Designer Program for all expecting moms
- Operating rooms
- Medical/surgical beds
- Exam/triage rooms
Find a Physician for Women's Health Services
If you need a referral to a physician at Lakewood Ranch Medical Center, call our free physician referral service at 941-708-8100.
The Women’s Center provides family-centered care throughout the childbirth process. Special features include:
- Family birthing suites that offer a private, comfortable, secure environment with homelike surroundings during labor and after childbirth.
- Each labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum suite is equipped with technological advances, including a wireless fetal monitor system that allows mothers to have freedom of mobility, which can help with the birthing process and make mothers more comfortable.
- An infant security system that offers safety features for mother and child.
- Obstetric nurses who are highly skilled in labor support and family-centered nursing.
- Level 1 nursery for babies who require special attention.
Birth Designer Program
We are the first facility in the area to offer a Birth Designer Program. Our Birth Designer, Chrissy Coney, RN, BSN, CLC, will help you create a personalized birthing plan for you and your support person, empowering you to choose how you wish to bring your baby into the world.
The Women’s Center has been recognized as a Blue Distinction Center+ for Maternity Care as part of the Blue Distinction Specialty Care program. Blue Distinction Centers are nationally designated hospitals that show expertise in delivering improved patient safety and better health outcomes based on objective measures that were developed with input from the medical community.
Optimal Comfort in a Relaxing Environment
- Room service dining available from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Daily Quiet Time from 2 – 4 p.m. each day for silent and undisturbed tranquility
- Daily “Tea at Two” to enhance rest and bonding
- Aromatherapy options
- Relaxation music
- Doulas welcome
- Private labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum suites
- Wireless fetal monitoring for increased comfort and mobility
- Infant security system
- Personalized rooming-in experience for mom and baby
- Birth viewing drape for Cesarean delivery
We understand how important breastfeeding is to you and your baby. All of the nurses in the Women’s Center provide breastfeeding support. A certified lactation consultant is also available in-house Monday through Friday. On-call consultants are available over the weekend and after you are discharged to provide ongoing 1:1 lactation support. The Little Nippers class is also a great option to receive lactation support from the class instructor.
Designated Quiet Time
Being a new mom is exciting, but with all the commotion and constant attention, we know moms can use a break to relax with their newborns. That’s why the staff at Lakewood Ranch Medical Center observes Quiet Time between 2 – 4 p.m. each day for silent and undisturbed tranquility. As Quiet Time begins, we dim the lights in the entire center and remind patients, visitors and the staff that this is a peaceful time. We also place signs on your room door that discourage interruptions and allow you and your baby to rest.
We start Quiet Time by delivering complimentary tea and cookies that you can enjoy from the comfort of your private room. Because this time is set aside just for you, most moms choose to sleep, enjoy skin-to-skin contact with their baby or breastfeed. Throughout your stay with us we do all we can to accommodate you and Quiet Time is no different. The staff will only enter your room if medically necessary. While close relatives are allowed in the room with you during Quiet Time, we encourage moms to reserve this time to bond with your baby and to schedule visits from family and friends around these hours.
Patient Story: Melissa Tatara
In this video, Melissa talks about her experience delivering at the Women's Center at Lakewood Ranch:
Family-focused Education Classes and Health Screenings
The importance of education is emphasized at the Women's Center. Prenatal classes, childbirth education classes and patient education seminars on women's health topics are offered. At the Women's Center at Lakewood Ranch Medical Center, caring professionals, whose focus is you, treat each patient with compassion and dignity.
Available classes include:
- Parenthood prep classes (Breastfeeding, Infant CPR, Baby Care Basics, Aromatherapy and Essential Oils During Pregnancy and Labor)
- Childbirth education classes (XTRA TLC, Prepared Childbirth Series and Weekend Crash Course, Prenatal Yoga, HypnoBirth)
- New parenthood classes and support groups (Little Nippers — New parent support group, Pospartum adjustment support group, Tummy Time)
Questions? Email us at BirthDesigner@lwrmc.com